Summer time = lazy blogger
Got this gem in my email today from my good ol' study abroad adviser, Esther:

We have been notified by Associate Dean of Students, Dr. Paul Chebator, that you have had a history of disciplinary infractions that could jeopardize your application to study abroad. This e-mail is to notify you that you are in conditional status regarding discipline clearance for study abroad. If you have any more discipline problems before you leave to go abroad you may be ineligible to study abroad. In addition, the Director of the Office of International Programs may use discretion when dealing with disciplinary issues and can withdraw a student from study abroad at any time if the situation warrants. Please do your best to keep a clean record from now on.

First of all, I don't have a disciplinary record at BC! I've never been written up for anything or received any kind of warning whatsoever. Needless to say, I replied right away, saying something along the lines of "uhm, WTF?" After a bit of texting, I discovered that a few others had received the same email... so hopefully it was just a computer error. STILL. I am nowhere near the president of this lady's fan club.

In other, better news, the summer has been pretty good and very eventful so far.

I went back to work pretty much right away after coming home and then went to Sasquatch over memorial day weekend which was PHENOMENAL and needs a heading of its own.

SASQUATCH:
cast: Keavy, Kelsey, Mackenzie, Max
Kelsey flew in on Thursday night and we spent all of Friday grocery shopping and getting pedicures and then Max picked us up and we went to get Mackenzie from work and hit the road. It was a long trip up because of the traffic, but it was a nice drive all together. Kelsey and I successfully pitched our tent in the dark, putting our awesome girl power to use, and went to bed shortly after. Then the drama began on Monday. After laying around a while and snacking, we decided to head into the Gorge, which meant that we'd be there all day (no reentry, LAME). Before our tickets were scanned, Max & Mackenzie decide to have a chit chat outside resulting in, Max deciding he needed to go back home to Tacoma due to heat stroke. So, Mackenzie drove him allll the way home and Kelsey and I enjoyed the first day of the festival.
We saw The Decemberists, Animal Collective, Bon Iver, Devotchka, M. Ward, Doves, The Gaslight Anthem and Mos Def. The Decemberists were GREAT, which I knew before hand, but I hadn't really heard of many of the others before and was pleasantly surprised by Devotchka, M. Ward and Bon Iver. Doves were pretty good, too, but were too close to a Coldplay ripoff for my taste, and I'm not really even a Coldplay fan.
The next day, Mackenzie made it back by noonish, by which point Kelsey and I had already waited 2.5 hours in line for freezing cold showers and were huddled in a small patch of shade with a closeted (even to himself...) gay man and his stack of People magazines. It was pretty fun times. By the time Mack showed up, we were good to head into the Gorge for the day. We saw a little bit of Jane's Addiction, TV on the Radio, a few minutes of Of Montreal, The Avett Brothers, Calexico, The Walkmen, The Submarines, a teeeeny bit of The Builders and the Butchers (wish we saw more of them!), Natalie Portman's Shaved Head (<33333333) class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_21">Avett Brothers, The Submarines and The Walkmen were particularly enjoyable, aside from NPSH, obviously.
Day three was a good day, too, aside from the presence of a pile of rotten puke that our lovely neighbor had left on our side of their tent. We decided to pack up before we hit the gorge so that when we came back, we'd be all good to go, which was a VERY wise decision. That day we saw Gogol Bordello (ruled the festival, by far), Grizzly Bear, Blitzen Trapper (SO GOOD!), Bishop Allen, ... and I can't remember who else we saw that day. I also forgot to mention that we got to meet both The Submarines & Blizten Trapper! They were all very nice :)
All in all, it was a great weekend with friends and crazy hippies! We had dinner in George, WA at a gas station Subway on the way back. The Subway had a sign that said "Sorry nl wheat!!" or something like that. It was weird.

After Sasquatch, I came home, worked a bit more at the zoo and then went down to Portland for a long weekend at my aunt and uncle's and of course, La na Gaeilge on Saturday May 30 at Marylhurst University with my grandpa.

LA NA GAEILGE:
This was my second year at the Irish language immersion day and it was even better than the first. The day is put together as a series of classes and workshops and the classes are broken down based on skill level. Grandpa and I were in Lucy's Advanced Beginner class, which was really fun because Lucy is a riot and spending time with G-pa is always worthwhile, but I probably should have been the next level up, or even at "conversations" to challenge myself. scéal é, it was a good time.
There were definitely a fair share of weirdos, though, including a fella called Hal who was the very proud owner of a concertina. The building we were using for the day had no a/c except for the classrooms, so we were quite glad to sit at our tables and learn with the reward of cold air :) All of us, except for Hal, of course. The minute we sit down he starts to shiver and pulls out a long sleeved flannel button up shirt, a fleece vest and this odd crocheted beret. It was in the high 80s. I don't even understand why the man brought the clothes with him. He also kept asking obnoxious questions which did not apply at all to the lesson we were learning.
Another weirdo was this girl Fern who described herself as a student of anthropology and druidic ritual, being a firm believer in the common ground of nature-based, paganistic tradition in all historical cultures and societies. Like I said. Weirdo. She kind of latched onto me and blabbered on and on about how much she hates English people for what they did, etc. When she found out about my year abroad next year she went CRAZY telling me all these things I have to do and places I have to go and giving me her little tips and tricks on surviving in the wild. She was a hoot.
For the workshops, they offered four different choices: Pronunciation, sean nos dancing (traditional), sean nos singing, and hurling. Grandpa and I chose hurling. It was really fun but incredibly hard. I certainly don't have the natural hand-eye coordination required to be successful at the sport, but it was cool to try. It was also hotter than hell outside, which made running around and swinging at little balls a bit un-fun.
After the workshop, we went back inside and did a bit of singing and music-playing before everyone hit the road.
It was a great day, although I was a bit sad they didn't have t-shirts this year. I love t-shirts.

I spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with my cousins, which was great because I don't get to see them as much as I like to being away in Boston most of the year. Ezrah has grown up quite a bit and is SUCH a trouble maker! Also, Grandpa and I bought our plane tickets for Cork... it's official! I can't wait. We're flying out of PDX on August 18!

If you've made it to the end of this, you're a champion. I'll try to be better about blogging the rest of my non-eventful summer and maybe I'll put up some more details about this past month - it's been a bit action packed.

0 Responses